You've probably never spent one minute playing with this metaphor, but as a NEWlywed and a NEWish blogger I've been thinking a lot about the similarities between good blogging and good marriages.
First, there's the "for better or worse" part. In the case of blogging there are all those uninspired and uninspiring posts and "writer's block" to contend with. One puts up with these FRUSTRATIONS and DISAPPOINTMENTS for the sake of those nuggets of brilliance!
There's also the "for richer, for poorer part." (Mostly POORER in the case of blogging.)
But seriously - like anything done well - I think good blogging and good marriages are driven by five important attributes:
1) Both require a significant committment of time and energy. It takes a lifetime to become a good writer and editor and partner.
2) Both require passion. Passion is motivating. It inspires you to get up every day and do the work you want to do in this crazy world. Passion also helps carry you through the tough times.
3) Both require self knowledge. Your mother was right when she told you to WAIT to get involved in a significant romance until AFTER you spent more time getting to know yourself. I think it's a little like that too with blogging or any form of writing. You need to do some soul searching to figure out what you care about and what you're trying to say.
4) Both require good listening skills. (I'm still working on this one!)
5) Both require real courage. Like making oneself vulnerable to another person, making one's ideas, thoughts, and idiosyncracies public is no easy task. But like anything worth doing, sometimes you have to step off the cliff and "just do it!"
Here's to you and here's to saying, "I DO!"