1. The best way to promote your blog is to do good work. So WRITE, WRITE, and WRITE some more.
2. Next, the blogosphere is a COMMUNITY of folks who care about stuff. To get your blog noticed you must PARTICIPATE in your online community(ies) of interest by:
- following the conversations you care about
- reading other people's work
- linking, linking, and linking some more
- asking and answering questions
- tagging and acknowledging great content
- volunteering for on- and offline projects in your areas of interest
- registering it with key search engines like Technorati and Blogpulse
- listing the URL of your blog in your e-mail signature and on your business cards
- sending out a press release about it's launch
For more tips on how to market your blog, read this article by the folks at OnlineMarketingBlog.
For more on how to get found in Search, go here.