You're probably wondering what the heck my last post was all about! I'll tell you!
I spent the morning with the passionate state advocates for Mental Health America - "the country’s leading nonprofit dedicated to helping ALL people live mentally healthier lives." After covering a little strategy, we launched into a round of "tech-dating" tutorials. I led the one on (you guessed it) blogging.
It's always helpful to introduce newbies (old or young) to the world of blogging, because it reminds me of how new the technology is to many folks. This helps me to be more detailed in my instruction and break it down in "lay speak."
If you are new to blogging, here's what you need to know. For more info, check out this overview on Wikipedia. Debbie Weil's book, The Corporate Blogging Book, is also a GREAT primer!
1. Blogs are just another form of a website. Nothing more. Nothing less.
2. Blogs are VERY easy to launch and update.
3. You don't need to know HTML to blog.
4. Blogging software is VERY inexpensive, sometimes FREE!
5. Successful blogging requires linking to and from other blogs.
6. The more you blog, the more likely you are to come up in the search engines.
7. You can use blogging software to create a website.