Wednesday, April 15, 2009
8 Requirements for Your Social Media Hire or Personality Traits That All Stellar Social Marketers Share
This fabulous photo is by Combined Media.
I spend a LOT of time thinking about social media. It's a passion of mine. (Can you tell?)
I love learning about these tools, connecting with people across space and time and sharing my thoughts and ideas. I also enjoy helping others to follow suit. And while I'm usually a glass is half full person, it's becoming clearer to me every day that not all social marketers are created equal. In fact, there are specific qualities that the best social media marketers all share (and others don't).
Looking for a job in social media or looking to hire an online community manager? Here are 8 key characteristics that are required. Missing some attributes from the list? Do not apply.
Stellar Social Marketers:
1) Have a point of view. Let's face it lots of people are nice but most are not memorable. Why? Because they have nothing to say. They won't rock the boat or be controversial. They are milk toast. This is death for a social marketer because no one talks about nothing. If you want to succeed as a social marketer you've got to have an interesting angle, a soap box, a hook - a point!
2) Really like other people. Social media exist to enhance relationships. If you don't like people (you know who you are) with all of their foibles, quirks and comments, you're going to hate it out here.
3) Are curious. The best social marketers are learners. They fly from one idea, case study, research report and tool to the next because they're so damn eager to learn. They want to absorb as many lessons as possible so that they can apply them to their practice.
4) Listen well. If there is one thing that will kill your ability to connect with other folks it's the inability or unwillingness to listen. If you want to be good at social media, take a deep breath, close your mouth and be quiet.
4) Aren't into spin. This is a tactful way of saying that the best social marketers don't lie. This is a corollary to point 1 because having a point of view requires being authentic and true. At a minimum, good social marketers aspire to tell the truth. Because of their candor, they don't crumble in the face of criticism and they don't confuse the community.
5) Are generous. The best social marketers live by this value - "give it away." They believe, rightly so, that what is given will be returned. Generosity is their currency. Social media are all about sharing and sharing requires a generous spirit. That's why it's called the Web.
7) Lead. Social marketers are changing the landscape of marketing, communications, fundraising, advocacy and public relations! They are testing new tools and strategies. Most important they are transforming their organizational cultures. This takes great courage and a willingness to inspire, change and be out front.
8) Are fun. The best social marketers are likable, interesting and fun. They are the life of the party! Again, stellar social marketers really like people. They're good listeners. They're interesting and they know how to make us feel good. In short, if we knew them in person we'd want them as friends.