We've been without power for approximately 36 hours, 15 minutes, and 2 seconds. But who's counting?
In case you are wondering, these are the things that I miss most.
My flat iron.
Did I mention light?
Over the past almost two days, it's been interesting and enlightening to reflect on what I LOVE about electricity. (I didn't know that I LOVED electricity.) As you can tell, most of what I miss is pretty innocuous stuff. But, my higher level beef about this powerlessness is that it makes me feel OUT of CONTROL.
I have to THINK about the smallest tasks. I have to rejigger my brain to build new habits. For example, I have to pee, put my contact lens in, brush my teeth and wash my face in the dark! :(
What does this all have to do with fundraising and marketing you ask?
According to The She Spot: Why Women are the Market for Changing the World and How to Reach Them, women in particular crave a feeling of being in CONTROL.
And it's easy to understand why. We're so busy! We have kids to care for, jobs to do, meals to make, and laundry to fold and only 24 hours in each day.
If you want us to DO MORE for your nonprofit and connect with you, you'd better make it EASY and you'd better let us do it on OUR TERMS!
One of the gifts that you can give your donors is the feeling of having more POWER and CONTROL in their lives. Here are some suggestions for how to do it.
- Provide lots of ways for us to get involved with your cause. Think in person and online volunteer opportunities.
- Hold meetings in the evenings and on weekends. Provide child care or create family-friendly events!
- Offer options for how and when to give.
- Offer options for email frequency, i.e. when and how much to hear from you.
- ASK your donors why they give and try to be responsive to their motivations.
- Make engagement a 2-for-1. For example, if we can donate time AND hang out with our friends this saves time and allows us to accomplish two tasks at once!