It powers our actions.
It enables us to get out of bed in the morning, make new friends, speak in public, and get to work.
Any leader needs a strong ego, especially social changemakers and entrepreneurs.
Going against the grain, i.e., fighting injustice, forging a new path, or developing a new product or service takes serious strength.
But too much ego can also be a disaster!
It can make us lose our bearings, alienate others, and block out reality.
Unsure whether or not your ego is getting the best of you?
Take this test.
If you answer "yes" to any of these questions, you may need to get your ego in check!
1. Do you think people are a means to an end vs. an end in themselves? Hint: They're not!
2. Have you stopped being curious and soliciting feedback from others? Do you often assume you know best and are right?
3. Do you say "I" more than "We" when talking about your organization, company, or team?
4. Do you find yourself feeling chronically anxious or upset at work?
5. Do you feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders? And that you must forge ahead with super human force?
Again, if you want to change the world, you WILL have to stand in the face of the naysayers. And this means having strong convictions and believing in yourself.
But don't let your ego run you over. Find a healthy balance between holding your own and making space for other possibilities.